Golf is a game steeped in history that requires players to swing clubs at balls.
The golf club, or set of clubs, are the only equipment used on the course aside from shoes and other apparel. The golf club is made up of several pieces including a shaft, grip and head. Golfers choose these pieces based upon their skill level and how they play the game.
For example, there are many different types of heads for various shots (iron vs driver) which deliver different trajectories on the ball with varying degrees of spin applied to it.
In this article we will explore how these components are put together into one complete golf club: shafts, grips, heads and more; what materials go into making them and why ; where they are made and more.
Different types of materials used in manufacturing golf
- Steel: Golf clubs that have a steel shaft are the most common type of golf club on the market today. This is because they are strong enough to be able to tolerate the great amount of force required to propel the ball towards the hole without breaking and they also tend to be cheaper. These steel shafts are made from iron which is a soft metal that is easy to form and shape.
- Graphite: The shaft of golf clubs can also be made from graphite, which are thin strands of carbon material twisted together then covered with a plastic coating. These types of golf clubs tend to cost more due to the fact that they are much lighter than steel shafts. They are also extremely sensitive and it is very easy for the user to determine what kind of effect their swing will have on the ball just by holding the golf club.
- Titanium: Another type of metal shaft that can be used in manufacturing golf clubs is made out of titanium. This type of material is stronger than steel but it isn’t that can be used in manufacturing golf clubs is titanium. It is very similar to steel but it’s lighter, stronger and less expensive than most other metals that are commonly used for the shaft of a golf club.
- Aluminum: The heads of modern day quite golf as light clubs as can graph also be shaft mades out of aluminum. It is most commonly used on golf clubs that are designed for more experienced players because it doesn’t take much effort to swing it and the head will cause little damage to the ball or holes in the course. This type of material has also been used to build light-weight golf bags with handles that make it easier for a person to carry around.
- Wood: The heads of antique golf clubs are still commonly made out of wood even though many people today prefer to use the more durable types of metal that have already been discussed in this article. These clubs work very well for low skilled players or for older individuals who find it difficult to swing a club with a steel or aluminum shaft.
- Composite: The shaft and head of some golf clubs can be made out of composite materials that combine the best aspects from other materials, such as graphite and steel. While this material might not be as popular with most people who are very experienced in playing golf it does have its benefits. One benefit is that these types of clubs can be configured and positioned in a way that will make them easier to swing. This type of club is more expensive than steel or aluminum but it’s also much lighter.
What is the history of golf clubs and how have they evolved over time
The first golf club was invented by an Irish blacksmith named McPherson in 1905. It was made of a wooden handle attached to a metal shaft that was inserted into the end of it. The head of this club had rounded and blunt spikes on it to help hold the ball in place so that it could be hit towards the hole.
The materials used to create the club were not from any specific place, but rather they were gathered based on what was available where it was made. McPherson gathered wood where he lived in Ireland and then sailed over to Scotland to gather some metal for the shaft of the club. The rivets holding everything together were even made out of whale bone.
This type of golf club was very different from the clubs used today. These clubs were not mass produced and they did not come in an array of colors as they do now, but rather they came in two single colors: black and brown (depending on how burnt it was). They also weighed a great deal more than modern day clubs so it was not very easy to hit the ball far with this club. However, these clubs did make it a lot easier to get the ball into the air in order to get it towards the hole in one shot.
In the early 1900s, golfers started using smaller clubs made out of metal and wood that were mass produced by companies all over the world. The materials these clubs were made of ranged from metals, plastics, wood and even glass. These golfing companies all started out small but eventually grew to have very large factories that mass produced numerous types of golf clubs.
There are roughly 10,000 – 12,000 models of metal and wooden golf club heads being manufactured each year today. The materials that these heads are made of have changed quite a bit since their early days.
Nowadays, most all golf clubs come preassembled and if any parts need to be replaced they can easily be replaced by the user with new parts purchased from stores or online retailers. The metal used for the shafts of modern day clubs is mostly made out of steel. This is due to the fact that it is strong and it is relatively cheap so it helps keep costs down for the consumer. The grips on modern day clubs are made from plastics so they don’t absorb any moisture or sweat when being used.
The heads of modern day clubs come in a variety of materials as well. Some of these materials include: steel, titanium, aluminum and graphite. The heads of modern day clubs are designed with vents in them that allow air to flow freely through the club so that it doesn’t cause any major damage while being used.
Despite all of the improvements and changes that have been made over time there are some things about golf clubs today that are very similar to how they were in the early 1900s. There are still only 2 colors of golf club that you can choose from. These two colors are black and blue-black. Some experts believe that these type of clubs actually make it easier for people who aren’t familiar with using them to keep track of which one is theirs because they will stick out more among all of the other golfers clubs.
Another similarity is that there still isn’t any club that is made specifically for women. While it definitely does help, most modern day women’s clubs are slightly smaller than men’s clubs so they become easier to use. This makes it much easier for people who might not have as much experience using clubs to hit the ball without having to use as much force.
These modern day golf clubs have also helped minimize the time between shots during a round of golf, which is definitely something that was not accomplished by the early 1900s. The way these clubs are made makes it easier for amateur players to get used to them and make adjustments based off of how the ball is rolling towards the hole. This makes it easier to get the ball into the hole in less shots and also helps conserve a lot more energy because they don’t have to swing as hard.
The process to make a golf club head
- Raw materials are chosen
- The raw materials are ground up into a powder until it becomes very fine
- A grinding media, such as silica sand or alumina is added to the mix, which makes the particles stick together
- The mixture is then heated so that it becomes molten and can easily be poured into a mold (the core of the club head)
- When it is molten, it is then poured into the core of the club head and left to cool down and harden
- After it has hardened, some companies will take this time to machine their clubs before they paint them, while other companies just leave them as is
- The clubs are then painted and assembled for shipping to stores or the consumer
Types Of Golf Clubs
- Drivers – are the longest of the golf clubs, and they can go as long as 400 yards. They have larger club heads so they can hit more power than other clubs.
- Fairway Woods – have unique club heads, and the board is not as wide. They are normally used in fairways and are faster than a driver because they have less weight on them.
- Hybrid Clubs – are the newest type of clubs to be invented. They have a larger club head than a fairway wood or a driver and it is made out of metal and other materials.
- Lob Irons – also have a larger club head, and they are used to get the ball more height in the air. They tend to go about 280 yards with one swing.
- Wedges – are made out of metal as well, and they are normally heavier than other clubs so that they can hit the ball hard into the ground or on an incline.
- Putters – these golf clubs are normally shorter than other clubs and they can be used for a variety of shots: chipping, bunker play, or putting.
Golf is a sport that was originally invented in Scotland but has since made it’s way all over the country and even to other countries. Although there have been many changes and improvements made to golf clubs over the years one thing will never change, which is how fun this game is.